Dyslexia Training Program
According to Senate Enrolled Act 217, Sec. 2. (a) Not later than the 2019-2020 school year, each school corporation and charter school shall employ at least one (1) individual to serve as a dyslexia interventionist for the school corporation or charter school. “Dyslexia interventionist” means an employee of a school corporation or public school, including a charter school, who has successfully completed training in a dyslexia program approved by the department.
Joellyn Hartley Dyslexia Consulting is thrilled and honored to be on the Indiana Department of Education’s approved list of dyslexia training programs!!
Why Choose Joellyn Hartley Dyslexia Consulting Training Program?
Approved: The Joellyn Hartley Dyslexia Training Program has received the seal of approval from the Indiana Department of Education. It is listed on the approved list of dyslexia training programs for educators interested in becoming an authorized reading specialist trained in dyslexia on the IDOE website.
Experience: Before Senate Enrolled Act 217 even became a bill, Joellyn Hartley was working with private schools in the State of Indiana, educating their teachers on the warning signs of dyslexia and how to properly help their dyslexic students; as well as, effectively implementing the Barton Reading & Spelling System as an intervention program.
Compact: This dyslexia training program is extremely in-depth, but does NOT require an extreme time commitment from its participants, especially when it’s compared to similar programs. Joellyn Hartley was taught by world-renowned dyslexia expert, Susan Barton. Mrs. Barton taught her dyslexia program by compiling all the needed information about dyslexia into an efficient time allotment and Joellyn has done the same with her comprehensive training program.
Cost Effective: The Joellyn Hartley Dyslexia Consulting Training Program utilizes the Barton Reading & Spelling System for the intervention component of the training program. The Barton system has a reasonable upfront cost, and an additional benefit is that it is a one-time purchase. Since it is scripted, you can train others to utilize the system for reading and spelling interventions without the additional cost of training another person. Only the first three levels of the Barton Reading & Spelling System are required to be purchased for The Joellyn Hartley Dyslexia Consulting Training Program. You can check out more pricing information on the Barton Reading & Spelling website: https://bartonreading.com/price/
While on the Barton Reading & Spelling website, check out the evidence of the program’s effectiveness, or click on this link here: https://bartonreading.com/the-barton-system-is/#eve
Support: After completing the Joellyn Hartley Dyslexia Consulting Training Program, not only will you receive a certificate stating you are an authorized reading specialist trained in dyslexia, but you will receive ongoing support from Joellyn herself; as well as, others from the dyslexia community that she will connect you to.
Leadership: Joellyn Hartley is not only a dyslexia specialist with several years of experience, but also the mother of a dyslexic child. She understands the needs of the dyslexic student, both academically and emotionally, and has been successfully leading others to help their dyslexic students. She looks forward to partnering with you to continue doing so.
Who is this Program For?
- Anyone interested in becoming an authorized reading specialist trained in dyslexia
- Teachers at public or charter schools who are interested in becoming their school district’s dyslexia interventionist
- Teachers or principals at a private school who want to learn more about dyslexia, how to identify their dyslexic students, and how to properly and effectively help their dyslexic students
- Tutors or other paraprofessionals, who are interested in becoming an employee of a school corporation, and working under the supervision of a licensed teacher as a dyslexia interventionist.
What is Included in the Training Program?
- Approximately 30 hours’ worth of instruction, broken down into an easy to follow format, where you
will be trained on:
- What dyslexia is and the prevalence of it
- The warning signs of dyslexia at different age levels
- The common misconceptions surrounding dyslexia
- The neurobiology and research aspects of dyslexia
- How to screen for dyslexia
- Dyslexia among the ESL students
- The importance of identification of dyslexia
- The Response to Intervention (RTI) process
- The emotional aspect of dyslexia
- Proper accommodations to help dyslexic learners
- How to use data in instructional decision making
- Instructional approaches that benefit dyslexic learners
- 15 hours of training utilizing the Barton Reading & Spelling system
- 5 hours of training and hands on practice with Level 1
- 5 hours of training and hands on practice with Level 2
- 5 hours of training and hands on practice with Level 3
** Coming soon…the majority of the 30 hours’ worth of instruction information will be presented in an online format that you can complete at your own pace!! Until then, the information will be delivered over an agreed upon, scheduled, five day period.
The cost of the entire training program is $1700 per person
- plus the purchase of levels 1, 2, and 3 of the Barton Reading & Spelling system
- Pricing can be found at https://bartonreading.com/price/ (Approximately $800 for all 3)
- plus any travel expenses, if applicable
Interested? Want to learn more or have some questions? Send me a message below!