Dyslexia: Solutions for Teachers
Who am I?
I am a Dyslexia Specialist. I have been trained to screen children for dyslexia, as well as, test both children and adults for it. I use a battery of tests, some of which are standardized.
I am a specialized tutor. I use the Orton-Gillingham based Barton Reading & Spelling system and I have seen tremendous results!
I am a speaker. I speak about dyslexia anywhere and anytime I can. I especially enjoy presenting at teacher in-services because not only do the teachers receive professional growth points, but they also obtain useful professional development that can benefit so many of their students.
I am trained to implement Barton Reading & Spelling systems within schools. This program has been around for many years and there are many statistics of its effectiveness within schools. It is designed for a one-on-one setting and is extremely cost effective.
I am a dyslexia consultant. I understand dyslexia. I not only help parents navigate the world of dyslexia, but I also partner with schools to help them do the same.
But most importantly, I am a proud mother of a dyslexic child. I know all the strengths that can come from dyslexia and the true potential a dyslexic possesses. I work very hard to try to find these special kids and get them the help they need and deserve because I have unfortunately witnessed the negative effects unidentified dyslexia can take on children and their parents. I have seen it many times with the students I have worked with that weren’t found until after they had struggled for many unnecessary years.
My mission is to partner with schools and teachers in order to share my knowledge with them and arm them with solutions to find and help their dyslexic students.
I attended an extremely intensive graduate course in Chicago that was taught by world-renowned dyslexia expert, Susan Barton. I have many hours invested in studying dyslexia, as well as, countless hours helping dyslexic children and their parents with my testing, tutoring, and consulting services.
Services I Provide to Schools
- Teacher In-Services
- Teacher Lunch and Learns
- Dyslexia Simulations
- Implementation of the Barton Reading & Spelling program within schools
- Screening assessments for students in the primary grades. The key is to catch them early!
- In-school specialized tutoring services utilizing the Barton Reading & Spelling system
- Consultations with school officials concerning dyslexia best practices for their students
- Dyslexia training program for educators interested in becoming an authorized reading specialist trained in dyslexia. (This program is approved by the Indiana Department of Education) To learn more about this training program, click the button below:
“I ran into two groups of teachers at ISTE in Chicago that could not stop talking about the dyslexia session you conducted, Joellyn. Congratulations!!”
– Dr. Cynthia T., Education Sales Business Development Manager for Cisco
“Without a doubt, Joellyn Hartley’s presentation at ISTE 2018 was the most informative and empowering session I attended.”
– CJ R., 9th grade literature teacher and parent of two dyslexic children
I am located in Batesville, Indiana, but I do offer my services outside of my area and Indiana as well. Please contact me if you are interested in having me provide a presentation or consultation.
Want to Learn More About Dyslexia?